Austin Pets Alive! (APA!) is not a typical shelter setting. Their innovative programs save more than 6,000 animals from euthanasia annually, keeping Austin no-kill since 2011. A no kill community saves 90% of the animals that enter the shelter. The Austin Community has made huge strides in the no-kill movement, becoming the largest no-kill city in the country within less than a year of the initiative.
APA! Created specialized programs for adoptable pets in great need: puppies with parvovirus, orphaned kittens, cats with ringworm, dogs with behavior challenges, geriatric animals, and more.
Dirty Dog Self- Serve Dogwash will be collecting items at each of our locations to assist APA! in their efforts. If wanting to help in the drive, please drop one of these items:
- Treat logs (Natural Balance or Red Barn)
- Large Kongs
- KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer)
- Wet dog food
How can you help?
· Donate: Your support directly determines how many lives can be saved each month. Consider joining the Constant Companion Club, donating online, writing a check, or donating an item from the wish list.
· Foster: About two-thirds of APA!’s adoptable animals are in foster homes at any given time. Having temporary, loving homes available directly impacts the number of lives APA! is able to save each day. Fill out a foster application online to open your home and save a life.
· Volunteer: APA! relies on a dedicated volunteer force to implement their ambitious vision and enrich the lives of animals in their care.
· Adopt: When you adopt a pet from APA! you are saving not one, but two lives – the life of the animal you’re bringing in to your home, and the life of an animal waiting for a kennel to open up at APA!. Check out adoptable dogs and cats online to meet the newest member of your family.